Tuesday, December 30, 2008

What is GFCF and am I ready to start it?

Are you ready to start the GFCF Diet? GF means Gluten Free, gluten is the protein found in wheat. CF means Casein Free, casein is the protein in all dairy. Most of our kids have trouble breaking down these proteins. The GFCF diet removes both wheat and dairy. It's not as hard as you think, and every child can benefit from a healthier and easier diet to digest. There are so many good substitutions and ways to make them look and taste the same as food that contain wheat and dairy. I suggest starting small and working your way up. It can be overwhelming at first. A great place to start is on the TACA website. They have a great plan to get you started and great lists of GFCF foods and stores that carry them. Read all ingredients on packages, they will list if they contain wheat and dairy. If your not sure you can call the 1-800 number on the package and ask the company if they contain wheat or dairy. I also suggest finding someone who is doing the diet and pick there brain. I love to help so you can always email me with questions. I have been successfully implementing this diet for 4 years with my son. I am going to list some of my favorite GFCF cookbooks and websites that have recipes and great information.
Cookbooks:
Special Diets for Special Kids (1&2) - Lisa Lewis
The Kid-Friendly ADHD & Autism Cookbook - Pamela J. Compart and Dana Laake
Cooking Free - Carol Fenster
Wheat-Free, Gluten-Free Cookbook for Kids and Busy Adults - Connie Sarros (this book does us Dairy but you can substitute with non-Dairy)
The Allergy Self-Help Cookbook - Marjorie Hurt Jones
Breaking the Vicious Cycle - Elaine Gottschall
Having It All Without Dairy, Wheat or Sugar - Gwynn Palmer

I am in the process of getting my recipes typed up so I can post them on this blog.

Websites:http://www.gfcfdiet.com/http://www.healthfulliving.org/TACA

There are many others. Become a Google-ologist, by dedicate some time to research different websites for the diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment